Winterizing the Jeanneau and a little sanding

The Jeanneau has been winterized. Nothing special. The boat remains in the water, that makes life easier.

I flushed the (raw water cooled) engine with a few litres of coolant and also put some coolant in several though hull valves. I emtpied the water tank and did a bit of cleaning. It still looked good on the inside. I will leave this tank open.

After that I still had some energy so I sanded the carbon tape on the boom of the new project. It was cold in the shed so I soon called it a day.

Dinghy proof of concept

Originally my plan was to use two 8 mm bolts + nuts (near the bottom) to hold the two halves of the dinghy together. I already drilled the holes.

Bolts and nuts, however,  can only be connected/tightened if the two halves are perfectly in line. In the water that could be very difficult.

So I decided to use rope instead. The first tests are sucessfull:

I will also run an extra line under the dinghy from bow to stern to pull the two halves together. This line will put quite a lot of stress on the bow so I put some carbon on it (the black stuff on the bow and at the waterline).

 

 

 

Working on the boom

Made some progress on the boom. The outside has been faired. More or less. I will probably stop at this point because I hate putting even more filler (=weight) on the boom. But maybe I will change my mind again later …

The false bottom has been cut and I decided where and how to install the reefing points. The edges of all holes were reinforced by removing some foam and replacing it with carbon/epoxy.

 

The boom is back

The boom has been laminated (100% carbon).

During the laminating process I decided to reduce weight (and cost!) by gradually reducing the laminate thickness towards the front and back. The heavily loaded vang area still has the original laminate thickness.

The boom still needs a lot of work. I have to install a full length  “false bottom” to connect  the sides and stiffen the structure. I have to think about hardware options and the reefing system. Last but not least, I have to fair and paint the entire thing.

After finishing the dinghy I will probably focus  on the boom again.

Rudder stock, boom, foldable dinghy and delivery

The kick-off for the new project was gluing and shaping a wooden core for a carbon rudder stock. It is quite a beast at almost 3 metres.

 

I also made a mold  (rough) for a carbon boom.

The boom will (hopefully) look something like the one I saw in Guernsey recently.

 

My dream has always been to have a good storage space for a reasonably sized dinghy. The current solution is this foldable design that should fit in the cockpit of the mothership. After it is finished I will saw it in half and put hinges in the middle, on the deck.

 

The owners of a big self-built catamaran asked me if I could help them bring their boat from The Netherlands to Portugal. A great chance to escape from the epoxy and dust! There wasn’t much wind but it was nice to visit new harbours (took a lot of pictures of interesting boats) and see some dolphins:

 

Getting ready for a new project

Refitting the Jeanneau was a good practice run for a bigger project. I am now going to try to build a boat from scratch. That will be more satisfying but it will also be more risky and take longer.

The design is around 42 feet (almost 13 meters) and is still being developed.  The drawings for certain components (e.g. rudder, boom) are already available. That’s where I will start.

A great 21st century philosopher once said: ‘Let’s see what happens’

Step 1: build a very big toolbox.