The doghouse is structurally finished.
The edge still needs some reinforcing. Putting on the extra laminate should only take 15 minutes (I have already removed the foam core).
I don’t look forward to fairing this thing, it’s quite big and has a difficult shape (the inside especially).
( SOLD August 2019 )
I am considering selling my Windpilot Pacific because it does not get much use as a result of the new project.
It’s from december 2015 but I started using it in 2017 (my boat wasn’t ready when I bought the unit).
It has the extra MF1 bracket (see drawing below from the Windpilot site) and the crossbar to improve the angle of the steering lines. I painted the reserve windvane with two component paint and put some reflective tape on it, looks quite professional. Most (or all) of the small parts in the little plastic bag are still there (I didn’t use them).
Contact me through this site if you’re interested. The unit can only be inspected and collected here in The Netherlands.
The doghouse was demolded and is now ready for the inside laminate.
Right now it is still quite wobbly. To prevent it losing its shape I’ve already put some UD laminate on it.
Started work on the doghouse. The outside laminate is done. It’s better to do all layers at once so this was a hell of a job ….
Hull and deck designs are ready!
Below are some pictures of the model based on these designs. The last one shows where the foldable dinghy will be stored while underway.
While waiting for the final drawings of the deck/cabin top of the mothership I worked on the dinghy.
I changed the mechanism to lock the two halves together (this is the third version), glued in 24 (!) stainless bolts for the hinges, put some carbon tape on the chines and started fairing the two “transoms”.
The boom still needed a gooseneck fitting (the connection between boom and mast) so I made one from carbon.
I will add some stainless steel hardware when the mast is ready.
I found another use for my balsa and made two relatively light seats for the dinghy:
Looking at the two halves of the dinghy made me think about using them separately as one person micro boats.
I could even add a tiny outboard motor! I stiffened the “transoms” (also with balsa/glass) to make this a future possibility.
I used a little of the recently acquired balsa wood to make a balsa/glass hatch:
Although I really like the functionality of the deck ventilators made earlier, I must admit they don’t look very nice ….
So I also made 8 or so ventilators with a more traditional and streamlined shape:
The type on the bottom still needs a couple of limber holes to get rid of the water that gets inside.
A disadvantage of these traditional ventilators is that it’s difficult to keep the area under the ventilator clean. You need to remove them if you feel that need. The first design does not have that problem.
At some point in the future (probably years …) I will have to connect a tiller to the rudder stock.
So I made a removable sleeve (actually two so I can experiment). The sleeve fits around the rectangular rudder stock and I will probably just glue the tiller to it. We will see.