Boom hardware

As a result of the (soft) Corona lockdown I don’t have access to most of my materials and tools. I don’t have serious tools at home unfortunately …

But I could think about installing hardware on the boom. I bought some simple stainless saddles from Wichard Marine and made backing plates to support them.

My goal is to keep most control systems in the boom itself. I don’t feel the need to guide all control lines to the cockpit. Another goal is to work with pulley systems (maybe using low friction rings?) instead of winches.

The sketch below will help me remember the setup but is far from final.

I also made another ventilator with some leftover carbon and epoxy. It’s strong (I can stand on it!) but light. Still have to drill the ventilation holes and trim the flange.

Bearings and an old photo

I’ve just started preparing the (round) stainless steel bearing sleeves for the (rectangular) carbon rudder stock.

And I found this 30+ years old photo of my first boat building project in my parent’s backyard. I remember coating all plywood panels on both sides with (white pigmented) epoxy before cutting them. That turned out to be a good idea because I was building outside in a rainy Dutch summer. But I also vividly remember the prices for Bruynzeel Marine Plywood and epoxy ….

Clean(er)

This was the third season after the refit for the Jeanneau.

It needed cleaning. The Kiwigrip looked like a garden. I also found several crab legs, confirming my suspicion that birds really like having dinner on my deck.

This one looked guilty:

The boat stays in the water so I couldn’t clean under the waterline. I don’t want to know how that looks after three years.

After cleaning I put 10 litres of diesel in the tank.

New picture

This blog has changed.

It was about the refit of a Jeanneau Rush. That boat is in the water.

The new (long term) project is building a foam sandwich boat from scratch. See the model on the left. There used to be a drawing of a Jeanneau Rush there.

Today I only managed to do some cleaning and sanding of the rudder blade. To compensate for the lack of progress I changed a picture on a website ….

To also post some content (and fake progress) I add the picture below showing the big rudder stock. It’s almost as thick as the rudder blade and makes me smile!

Rudder blade (cont.)

After finishing the carbon rudder stock and shaping the foam of the rudder blade I needed a break from this project.

To prevent damage to the foam I should however put some carbon laminate on the blade as soon as possible. The thin edge of the blade is very vulnerable.

But first I have to do some fairing (the dark stuff on the foam):